Winter activities allowed on the Cannon Valley Trail.
NOTE: Cross Country skiers must have a MN DNR Ski Pass.
Cannon Falls to Red Wing
- From Mile #1/Softball Field Access in Cannon Falls to Mile #15.4 /Cannon Bottom Road in Red Wing, the trail will groomed and tracked for cross-country skiing. Snowshoeing is allowed on the non-tracked side of the trail.
- No hiking or fat-tire biking is allowed!
Red Wing :
- From Mile #19.7/Old West Main Access in Red Wing to Mile # 17.4/Pepin Ave in Red Wing, the trail will be plowed for walking and all types of biking, including fat tire bikes.
- From Mile # 17.4/Pepin Ave in Red Wing to Mile # 15/Cannon Bottom Road in Red Wing, the trail will be groomed for classic cross-country skiing, skate-skiing, snowshoes, and fat tire bikes.
- From Mile #15.4/Cannon Bottom Road in Red Wing to Mile #1/Ball-field and Ski Access in Cannon Falls, the trail will be tracked for classic cross-country skiing; and groomed for skate skiing and snowshoeing.
- No hiking or bikes allowed!
The Cannon Valley Trail connects with the City of Cannon Falls trails on the west end and the City of Red Wing Trails on the east end.
Note: Wheel passes are NOT required for the City of Cannon Falls, Mill Towns State Trail or City of Red Wing Trails.
No Pets allowed on the trail! (Including those in trailers or baskets)
Rail to Trail
The Cannon Valley Trail is built on a former Chicago Great Western Railroad line connecting the cities of Cannon Falls, Welch and Red Wing in beautiful southeastern Minnesota. This paved bicycle and hiking trail is 19.7 miles of diverse and spectacular scenery.
Paralleling the Cannon River, the Trail offers glimpses and panoramas of the valley and gradually descends 115 feet in elevation from Cannon Falls to Red Wing. From overhanging cliffs to views of extensive wetland complexes, nature’s seasonal changes are vividly displayed.
Along the Trail describes some of the highlights along the Cannon Valley Trail.
The Trail is open year round for bicycling, in-line skating, skateboarding, similar wheeled recreational devices, hiking, walking and cross country skiing. Trail users age 18 or older must have a valid Wheel Pass when using the trail from April 1st – November 1st. Wheel Pass fees are $5/day or $25/season.
The Great Minnesota Ski Pass is required to cross-country ski on the Cannon Valley Trail.