Winter Usage Allowed on the CVT
Cannon Falls :
· From Mile #0 to Mile #3 in Cannon Falls, the trail will NOT be plowed or groomed. Walking, fat-tire biking and snowshoeing are allowed as conditions allow.
· From Mile #3 to Mile #8, near Welch, the trail is closed for bridge replacement project.
Welch Station Access to Red Wing :
The trail will be groomed for classic cross-country skiing and tracked for skate skiing and snowshoes from Welch to Mile #15.4 in Red Wing. NO BIKES!
Red Wing :
· From Mile #19.7/Old West Main Access in Red Wing to Mile # 17.4/Pepin Ave in Red Wing, the trail will be plowed for walking and all types of biking, including fat tire bikes.
· From Mile # 17.4/Pepin Ave in Red Wing to Mile # 15/Cannon Bottom Road in Red Wing, the trail will be groomed for classic cross-country skiing, skate-skiing, snowshoes, and fat tire bikes.
· From Mile #15.4/Cannon Bottom Road in Red Wing to Mile #1/Ball-field and Ski Access in Cannon Falls, the trail will be tracked for classic cross-country skiing, skate skiing and snowshoeing. NO BIKES!
NOTE: Cross Country skiers must have a MN DNR Ski Pass.
The CVT is closed from Mile #3 to Mile #8 beginning Oct 1, 2019 for Bridge Replacement. No designated detours are available. Completion is expected in Spring of 2020.
Please, no pets on the Cannon Valley Trail!
(Including those in baskets and trailers)
Rail to Trail
The Cannon Valley Trail is built on a former Chicago Great Western Railroad line connecting the cities of Cannon Falls, Welch and Red Wing in beautiful southeastern Minnesota. This paved bicycle and hiking trail is 19.7 miles of diverse and spectacular scenery.
Paralleling the Cannon River, the Trail offers glimpses and panoramas of the valley and gradually descends 115 feet in elevation from Cannon Falls to Red Wing. From overhanging cliffs to views of extensive wetland complexes, nature’s seasonal changes are vividly displayed.
Along the Trail describes some of the highlights along the Cannon Valley Trail.
The Trail is open year round for bicycling, in-line skating, skateboarding, similar wheeled recreational devices, hiking, walking and cross country skiing. Trail users age 18 or older must have a valid Wheel Pass when using the trail from April 1st – November 1st. Wheel Pass fees are $5/day or $25/season.
The Great Minnesota Ski Pass is required to cross-country ski on the Cannon Valley Trail.
Wheel Passes are required for adults using a wheeled device on the CVT from April 1 – Nov 1.
Note: Wheel passes are not required for the City of Cannon Falls or Mill Towns State Trail. Follow the Cannon Falls City trail signs to the east approx 1 mile to reach the Cannon Valley Trail connection